Thursday, May 20, 2010

LACMA-Myths, Legends, and Cultural Renewal: by Julieann Spangler



This past weekend I went to Los Angeles County Museum of Art. I went to see the current exhibition "Myths, Legends, and Cultural Renewal: Wagner's Sources," that runs from April 15, 2010–August 16, 2010. I couldn’t take pictures in this exhibition. I liked the diversity of art that was in this show. There are lithographs by Emile Nole. I liked his postcards. Stefan Eggeler has B/W etchings, which remind me of the artist Aubrey Beardsley. There are some woodcuts by Ernst Barlach. Hans Groh’s woodcuts were very tragic. The images were of 2 or 3 men. Each man confronted the other close up with a sword. The men looked liked they had on masks of Greek gods. The next artist was Otto Schubert he had sketches. The image of a fox in a fable reminded me of Javier Beltran’s (from class) last piece. Achim Freyer, the Director and Designer of the LA Opera had work in this show as well. His stage costumes, as well as sketches and a sculpture-like installation piece are on view. This exhibition was very mythical, but I felt it also had a circus feel. I liked it very much. David Hockney was the last artist on the wall just before you left this small room. Hockney, a photographer and painter had some etchings on handmade paper. I didn’t know that he did this type of work. I was greatly surprised. His work was based on the Grimm fairy tales.

There were also silent film that were very interesting. Director Fritz Lang who created the film "Metropolis," had his 1924 film "Die Nibelungen," showing. The other film showing is "Der Golem, wie er in die Welt kam," (1920).

Here’s what they showed. Check them out on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiUJUTIWUD4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBm4P9GIJk&feature=related

It’s been a while since I’ve been to LACMA. I forgot how much wonderful art they have on display. Looking around I found many Picasso’s, Paul Klee, and a Kandinsky woodcut. I liked this woodcut. It’s called "School Red & Blue," and was made in 1939. I spent a couple hours in the Ahmanson building, which has all this great art. Before I left I decided to stop by the Japanese Art pavilion. I’m so glad I did. I don't know long this exhibition has been running, but there are some prints by Utagawa Hiroshige that will be on display until June 29th. They’re on the 3rd level in the west wing. Go if you have a chance. It was great seeing these approximately 60 prints. They were so beautiful. I stared at the colors. After seeing this process being demonstrated in class, I realize how difficult the process is. I had many favorites, but here are a couple pictures I took of my some favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment