Friday, March 4, 2011

Finally - My Name in Lights...sort of

Soooo, my exhibition was part of the Fresno "Art Hop" last evening, & I was duly impressed to see that my image "Core" had been considerably blown-up & turned into campus signage. My immediate thought was how much more impressive it was at a larger scale, & why didn't I have enough tenacity to create it that way to begin with? Ah well - pointless rumination, I know.

Anyway, back to last night. I'm trying to be sly, not at all obvious in my attempts to take a few shots of this billboard, when an excited young man runs up to tell me that he's doing the lighting for the play "The Ballad of Chet" (as seen immediately to the right of my image). Not wishing to burst his bubble, I asked him if it was about the life of legendary jazz trumpeter & heroin addict Chet Baker. The blank look on his unlined face told all, including the fact that he no doubt found me to be a daft woman of a "certain" age. Clearly he had no notion of who Chet Baker was. At that point, I didn't want to linger, forlornly looking for my name in lights on the big electronic messaging board. Notice gentle reader, how these blighted things have now become ubiquitous on every university, college & high school campus. To counter, might I propose a listen to David Wilcox' gentle paean titled: "Chet Baker's Unsung Swan Song," & yes, I am going to look for that certain hotel while in Amsterdam this summer (but it would be entirely too ghoulish to book a room there).

Oh yes, my show runs until 3/17...or even a bit beyond that, should the fates allow. As it's hard to read on the repro'ed invite, the show is located in the "Art Space Gallery," Fresno City College, 1101 East University Avenue, Fresno, CA

As much as I'd like to seem really technologically savvy, I can't actually take credit for the QR scanner code for smart phones on the back of the exhibition announcements. Vexingly, it's been the only thing folks have been giving me props for. Perhaps it will provide the impetus for me to finally finish (and actually post) my web-site. Another New Year's resolution dumped by the side of the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment